Saturday 25 February 2012

National Cross Country Championships at Parliament Hill

This morning I travelled with the Folkestone Running Club by train to Parliament Hill.  We got a Ladies team as well as a mens team for the Champioships. As we entered the grounds of Parliament Hill there were massive of club tents group together on a hill.  Going to be a hilly course if the tents are not on the flat!!  After we had pitched up, we had a little wonder, the start line was at the bottom of a massive hill.  At the top of the hill, was a fantastic view of London.

On the way to the start I saw Gemma Steel, who I have seen on the telly, the winner of Bupa Bimingham and running the same race as me! She was tipped to win the race.

Us ladies got in the pen at the start line, there were loads of us. The gun soon sounded and we were off up this massive long hill. The crowds were lined all the way up the hill.  Just ahead of me I could see Kim and I had managed to catch her up and get past for a little while and then she caught me and then Tina caught me and got past.  There were some muddy boggy patches around the course.  It was hilly too and there was a quite an up right hill.  There was one hill where Dave Smyth was standing, shouting out encouragement and on  all the hills I was able to get past people.  There was a lovely downhill sprint which was a great end to the race.  This course has a reputation for being a tough course but I had actually found Brighton being a tougher course.

Splits 9.21, 9.22, 9.56, 9,26, 8.05
Distance 4.76
Time 44.13
Position 536 out of 650
Team Position  43 out of 73 which is a great result for the ladies.

That is now the end of the Cross Country season which has been very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment