Saturday 31 March 2012

Olympic Park Run - once in a life time opportunity.

The morning started with a visit to Folkestone Academy Radio station with Kim and Sue. The Sportsferret had invited me along this morning where Kim spoke about today's Olympic Park Run with Sportsferret and Adam Dowling.  It was really good to go along to see what happens at the station.

Afterwards I caught the highspeed train to Stratford.  I was given two spectators tickets so Laura and Ian came along to watch. At the station we met up with Kim who was also running who brought along Sue and Kirsty.  From the station we had to walk through the shopping centre which was really busy and then there was a queue to get to the stadium and once inside we had to go through security.   Once inside Kim was the first to celebrity spot and spotted Nell McAndrew who was running. I was in the red wave and Kim was in the white wave.  The different waves had different seating areas so we had to go our separate ways.  So we found our seats and just seeing the running track was amazing.

It wasn't long till I had to go to my start area. My wave was the first to go which was great as it was cold waiting around. We did a little warm up, there were also people being interviewed and I think I might of made it on Chinese television lol. Princess Beatrice had started the race but she wasn't high fiving, how disappointing!!! She was also running the race.  The route was through the Olympic Village, seeing the Velodrome, Basketball arena, Water polo arena and the Aquatics centre.  Not that I knew what each building was when I was running.  I could only make out the Velodrome.  It was like running through a building site, there were also construction workers cheering you on. There were also quite a few inclines along the way.  I did see Nell McAndrew running but she wasn't wearing her red top like everyone else.  It was a mass of people wearing red.  

I was running really well, for the first two miles I was running about 7.30 which is super quick which surprised me that I was able to keep that up.  The mile markers were in the wrong place, saying you have done less than you really have.  For the last part of the run, was running through the tunnel of the stadium.  They had music playing inside.  In the tunnel I had lost my satellite, so that meant losing the true distance that I had run, my time and pace.  It was a shame as I wanted to see what time I was at when I reached dead on 5 miles as the race was definitely going to over 5 miles. Once out of the tunnel you were on the track, what a great feeling that was, it was quite breath taking, seeing the crowds in the stadium and also hearing the crowds cheering you on. A once in a life time opportunity to be running on the Olympic running track.  I had managed to see Sue and Kirsty in the crowds so I gave a wave.  Then I was looking out for Laura and Ian, I just couldn't see them unfortunately.  I was then approaching the finishing line. There were a mass of cameras and also there were the Olympic athletes. So I was waving and Anthony, heavy weight boxing champion gave me a thumps up so I returned the thumbs up.  Another PB for me even though it was over 5 miles YAY!!!!  

I then returned to Laura and Ian who were both freezing, it was really cold. I managed to see Kim come in as she started on the wave behind me.  We then made our way to Sue and Kirsty and had managed to get in their seating area to greet Kim.  Kim had a great run and really enjoyed it too. She had managed to keep her satellite and it was over 1/4 mile over 5 miles.

Splits 7:38, 7:44, 8:02, 7:58, 9:45.  The last split was wrong due to losing my satellite. It should of been around 8 minute mile or under.  Also it was dead on 5 miles, not being 1/4 mile over, my time would of been under 40 minutes.

Time 40:48  I was really chuffed with my time as being able run 7 min something miles.

Position 1812 out of 5000

What a fantastic experience and enjoyable day!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment